The goal of the therapeutic services & groups at Acadiana Treatment Center is to aid & empower the recovering individual to live a healthier, happier, and more productive life, free from destructive behaviors and dependence on addictive chemicals.
Therapy Groups Offered at Acadiana Treatment Center in Louisiana
- Group Therapy – Therapy groups are solution oriented and focused on identifying and implementing sobriety-based coping skills to address personal issues. Groups provide the opportunity to identify and process patterns of emotions, relationship issues, and significant life events. Emphasis is placed on developing a greater understanding of the connection between these patterns and efforts to maintain sobriety. Groups are facilitated by licensed counselors who are familiar with 12 Step recovery.
- Coping Skills Group – This is a therapeutic group to help the patient learn how to deal with life’s problems. Problem-solving groups like this are solution focused. The goal is to aid participants in developing problem-solving skills. Staff integrates all domains of functioning—thinking, feeling, behavior, and relationship styles—in designing interventions, which will assist the participants in meeting this goal.
- Problem Solving Group – This group helps develop a generic skill, not specifically related to chemical dependence.This group is included in the skills taught, to provide a means of coping if patients unavoidably enter a difficult situation for which they have no coping response immediately available to them. Steps in the problem-solving model include problem recognition, identification of the problem’s component elements as precisely as possible, brainstorming potential solutions, selecting the most promising approach, trying it out, assessing its adequacy, and refining the plan if necessary. With this skill, patients are provided a way of coping with unanticipated problems that might otherwise stump them and put them at high risk for drinking or drug use.
- DBT Group – Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) uses cognitive-behavioral techniques and is designed to address skill deficits in affect regulation, impulse control, assertiveness, and distress tolerance. Patients learn cognitive-behavioral and mindfulness skills to better identify and manage their emotions. They practice applying these skills to better tolerate difficult life events and improve their ability to interact effectively with others.
- Anger Management Group – In this group, patients benefit from learning anger control methods to help effectively manage their anger. The staff teaches skills to decrease anger and develop self-control over thoughts and actions. Patients are taught about the warning signs of anger so they can identify these internal and external warning signs early on and begin to manage them before their anger grows strong and becomes uncontrollable. Skills for managing anger include the use of “calm-down” phrases, identifying aspects of a situation that are provoking anger, and considering options that might help to resolve the situation.
- Relaxation Group – Relaxation is a useful way of coping with various circumstances that either precede or are worsened by alcohol/drug use, such as stress, tension, anxiety, anger, sleeplessness, and cravings to use. Relaxation skills training involves progressive muscle relaxation training, slow breathing exercises and the use of calming imagery. These groups enable the patient to identify tension states and their alternative, relaxation. As these skills are practiced and acquired, patients can be taught to apply them in various situations, particularly stressful ones.
Learn More About Our Family Program & Workshop
- Family Program -The disease of addiction hurts the addict as well as their loved ones and damages their relationships. The professionals at Acadiana Treatment Center understand that successful rehabilitation for the addict includes help for the family members that have been affected by addiction. With appropriate, supportive guidance, healing can occur. Relationships can grow to be healthy and satisfying. Loved ones are strongly encouraged to participate in the weekend family program as well as the two-day family workshop. The workshop provides education on addiction and 12 Step recovery along with process groups. A process group consists of 8-12 people who meet regularly for the common purpose of finding out more about who they are and what it is perhaps that they would like to see change within their personal lives and in their relationships with others.The group addresses communication skills, relationship expectations and other significant issues pertinent to individual situations. A meeting comprised of the families and friends of alcoholics/addicts is held weekly to familiarize loved ones with 12 Step recovery and to afford them the opportunity to benefit in their own recovery.
- Family Workshop – Our two-day Family Workshop provides opportunities for patients and families to heal together. The program is designed to educate, open lines of communication, provide support, and help integrate the family into the recovery process. Addiction is a family disease and treatment for the entire family is a critical component of success in the program. Our clinicians provide a wide range of services, including individual therapy, patient and family groups, and weekly support and education groups, to patients’ families and significant others during and after treatment.
12 Step Recovery Programs at Acadiana Treatment Center
Because the solution to the disease of addiction includes becoming fully functional in a 12 Step recovery program, AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings are a part of treatment to begin and maintain the recovery process.
Educational Guidance on Recovery From Drug & Alcohol Abuse
The educational curriculum provides information on relapse prevention and the biological, psychological, sociological, and spiritual aspects of addiction. It includes education on addiction as a disease; craving management skills; self-esteem enhancement; feelings management; effective communication; 12 Step education and spirituality. The goal is to teach the skills and provide the tools necessary for lifelong recovery.
Fitness & Recreation Involvement During Treatment at Acadiana
Acadiana Treatment Center provides Fitness & Recreation for all patients. Activities include exercise groups 3 days per week, the opportunity to exercise in the pool, basketball, and ping pong to name a few.